Burial Transit Permit
The Federal Ministry of Health in Nigeria requires that formal request letter for a waiver addressed to Honourable Minister, Federal Ministry Health and relevant documents regarding cause of death be forwarded through the High Commission to obtain repatriation waiver before human remains/corpes are taken to Nigeria.
Items 1 to 9 are to be submitted in duplicate to the High Commission to facilitate the process.
- Formal request letter for a waiver addressed to The Honourable Minister, Federal Ministry of Health, Federal Secretariat Complex, Abuja. indicating the date of death, place of death, cause of death and Age.
- Burial Transit Permit
- Certification of Embalming & Preparation of Human Remains
- Notarized statement of the Funeral Director (stating that the casket contains only the remains of the deceased and nothing else).
- Medical Examiner’s Report (if applicable) if the deceased was killed
- Certificate for shipment of Body outside Canada
- Medical Certificate of death
- Statement of death
- Notarized copy of Death Certificate
- Certification of Vital Record regarding communicable/non communicable disease(s) - [this is to state whether or not the deceased had contagious disease. If so, the type of disease should be stated in this document].
- Processing fee of $20 per document payable to the Embassy of Nigeria in form of money order only
- For inquiries please call (613) 236-0006 (Direct), 613 236 0521 ext: 241 and ext: 243 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- International waiver fee of five thousand naira only(#5000.00) payable to Port Health services in Nigeria.
- Nigerian Passport of the Deceased (in case passport is not available, the closest relative should send a notarized letter stating same).
- Self-Addressed return envelope (Canada priority or Express post Courier Envelope Only)