As a result of the current challenges affecting Immigration services resulting from the 3rd wave of the Coronavirus in Ontario-Canada, the Nigeria High Commission, Ottawa, is pleased to provide Nigerian citizens in Canada with the following vital information.
- Temporary residents in Canada whose passports/travel documents are about to or have expired and cannot be renewed due to COVID-19 restrictions are encouraged to apply for an extension or restoration of their status online.
- More information on applying for an extension can be found @
- Additional information on applying for restoration is available @
- Applicants who apply before their status expires will have their status maintained while their application is being processed.
- Where additional documentation or information is required to decide on an application (such as a valid passport), Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will request the necessary material. However, they may allow the applicant 90days to submit the required documentation.
Nigerians with expired Nigerian passports planning to travel back home are allowed to do so, but must:
- Obtain clearance from their airline of choice about travelling with an expired Nigerian passport.
- On arrival in Nigeria, such individuals should make deliberate efforts to visit the closest Nigeria Immigration Service passport renewal office to renew their passport before returning to Canada.
The Nigeria High Commission, Ottawa, will continue to post updates on the website and social media platforms.
Our social media platforms are: